Ruidoso Wildfires

Support for Veterinarians and Animals Impacted by the Ruidoso Wildfires

As wildfires affect Ruidoso and surrounding areas, the New Mexico Veterinary Medical Association (NMVMA) is here to help. We are dedicated to supporting veterinarians, pet owners, and livestock managers during this challenging time. We understand the difficulties you are facing and are ready to provide the resources and assistance you need.

Resources and Support:

Donate to the Greatest Needs Impact Fund (Source: Community Foundation of Southern, New Mexico)

Managed by the Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico, this fund supports the immediate and long-term recovery needs of people, animals, and places affected by the Ruidoso wildfires. Partnering with the Community Foundation of Lincoln County and the Albuquerque Community Foundation’s Shelter Fund, New Mexico Wildfire Relief Fund, and Emergency Action Fund, your donations will aid the communities in Lincoln and Otero counties. Donate Here

The Salvation Army

Monetary donations can be made online (click here) or by texting RUIDOSO to 51555. To donate via check, mail to:

The Salvation Army Roswell Corps Community Center
Attn: Ruidoso Fire Relief
PO Box 897
Roswell, NM 88202-0897

Livestock Evacuation Sites for Animals Affected by South Fork and Salt Fires

(Source: NM Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management) The following sites are available for those needing to evacuate livestock due to the South Fork and Salt fires.

For assistance and more information, please contact the respective numbers provided.

Sites marked with ** also accept small companion animals such as dogs, cats, and chickens:

  • ** New Mexico State Fairgrounds: Call 505-238-3478
  • ** Chaves County Fairgrounds: Call 575-420-3838
  • Curry County Fairgrounds: Call 575-309-3851
  • Eddy County Fairgrounds: Call 575-308-2367
  • Eddy County Sheriff’s Posse: Call 575-499-3260
  • Lea County Fairgrounds: Call 575-333-0252
  • ** Lincoln County Fairgrounds: Call 575-849-1015
  • Mescalero Rodeo Grounds: Call 575-464-9878
  • Sierra County Sheriff’s Posse: Call 575-491-9255
  • Socorro County Fairgrounds: Call 575-418-7428
  • Sunland Park Race Track: Call 915-204-0887
  • Zia Park Race Track: Call 717-460-8774
Financial Aid

Veterinarians and animal owners affected by the wildfires can apply for emergency financial aid through the AVMA Foundation. Learn more about eligibility and the application process.

Mental Health Support

Wildfires can be extremely stressful. NMVMA has compiled resources for mental health support for veterinarians and their staff. Access our Peer Assistance and Wellness Support page on the NMVMA website for helpful links.

Community Support

NMVMA members can opt-in to the NMVetList – a forum to connect with other veterinarians from across New Mexico, share resources, and seek advice from colleagues. To join the listserv, contact us at This is an NMVMA member benefit.